Monday, July 18, 2011

Hello again

Oh my! Seems like forever since I last wrote.  Probably everyone thinks that we have disappeared from the face of the Earth.  No. Just very busy!

The garden has undergone some changes.  The tomatoes are putting on little tiny fruits. The corn has been harvested and stalks pulled. What a harvest! I blanched and froze 13 gallon size bags of corn on the cob! Mmmmm....yummy! That should surely take us through to next year.
Saturday, I then mowed the garden spot.  (I know, I know.  It's weird.  But that is my style of weed control.) Not to mention all of the newspaper that I had put between the rows to be a composting weed mat.  Okay, so all of these newspapers were very dry and crunchy and just went into a million pieces up into the air and all over the yard!  As I mowed I smelled smoke.  I decided that probably it would be a really good idea to get done and spray it all down with the water hose, lest I have a burning garden!

Then this morning we went out and tore up the ground and planted a second crop of sugar peas, a few pinto beans, carrots and radishes.  Then put more newspapers in between the rows. I sprayed it all down really good with the water hose and decided it was too hot to keep on for now. I will do more in a day or two.  We will see how this late crop works out.

The young princess has begun on her studies for the year.  Just the fun and easy stuff for now.  But, she doesn't seem to think that I give her enough to do.  Hmmm....
We are kind of easing into school this year instead of just all at once.  So far, so good!

We hung our hammock a few weeks ago.  That was very interesting! I think that the rope that I used was a bit old.  Well, it was a big let down, to say the least! So we got some more rope.  It was really nice for a little while, but that was a let down too! That happened three different times.  By then the weather was too warm to want to lay around outside.  So when it cools down we will try again.

                       The princess loved to sit or lay there and sing and "play" her accordian, or just read.

Both of the little people have learned to ride the bicycle this summer! Yeah!! O boy!  Now they just fight over whose turn it is to ride.  (they share the bike)

                                                         The Princess
                                                    The very wobbly Prince

His interest in riding is much less than hers.  She could spend hours on there.  He just wants to ride when she is riding! Typical brother behavior!

The Prince asked the other day,"Papa, you wanna go fishin' with me?" "Where?" his father asked.  "Over there, at the river." (over the back fence in the pasture behind the house)  They caught lots of sardines and catfish.  They just cooked them right there in their invisible boat and ate them.  I couldn't resist sneaking up with the camera and catching a few shots of my own!
What wonderful imaginations children have! Just cast your line right out in the pasture and you can catch anything!

Well, it is lunch time, so.....That's all for now. 
Hmmm... what is for lunch?  Sardines? Nah!  Catfish? Nah!  Leftovers?  Now were talkin'!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked the article, and the very cool blog

Karla said...

I live in an old farm house myself. : ) It'll be 200 years old in about 18 years.

Very nice blog.

I'm a new follower. I'd love for you to come and visit my blog too.

Karla
http://workschoolkids.blogspot.com/

rubynreba said...

Came from Giveaway Blog. We live in a house that is 90 years old. I love old houses!