Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Beautiful days

What a beautiful day on the farm.  Though it is cloudy, it  is a balmy spring day.  The butterflies and bumble bees are zooming around, feasting on all of the Lilacs and Iris, dandelions and henbit.  My peonies are near bursting into bloom and all of my perennials are peeking out to see the sun.
While mowing the grass this morning, I watched in wonder at the bees and butterflies. They would stay in place, just until the very last minute when I knew that I would run over them. And then in a heartbeat fly away.  Then while watching them, I ran myself right into a big clump of vines hanging down. I looked down and was up to the hubs in dirt.  I had ran into a little hill and gotten stuck!  So I reached up to get the vine off the top of my head and...Behold!! Twas poison ivy!  Then I decided not to worry 'bout the vine and just get the mower out.   Easier said than done! The mower deck was shoved deep into the hump of dirt, not to be budged!  So I walked back to the house, got a shovel and my little farmer boy.  We went down and I dug the dirt out from between the tire and the mower deck.  Wouldn't move.  Then I got the blade of the shovel under the deck and said "Okay, Michael, push!" He pushed and I pulled.  After 3 tries, we were free!  So I hoped back on the mower, pushed the poison ivy out of my face and finished the yard.  Whew!  After scrubbing with a Jewelweed bar, & changing my clothes, I decided that I had had enough excitement for one day.  It's a wonder neither Michael nor I gave ourselves a hernia!
I felt like I deserved a treat after that ordeal, so I made fresh squeezed strawberry lemonade.  Mmmmm!
That made it all worthwhile!
For those of you who are unaware of my first bit of news.....OL' FARMHOUSE now has a website!!
Ok, so maybe it isn't quite as professionally done, but we are still working it.  But you are invited to visit at your convenience and invite your friends to visit as well. Hear is the website, but first, read the rest of the blog.  www.olfarmhouseproducts.com.  I do hate it when people walk away while I am still talking!
Our next exciting news will come in a couple of days so, stay tuned for more information.
The princess of the palace has officially finished her second year of school. Yeah!!!  She is reading well beyond her level of schooling and we are very proud of her accomplishment.  She started her summer off right. Sleeping in....all the way to 7am!  Wow!  That's okay, there is too much to discover in life to spend all your time in bed!
I am going to fire up the smoker here in a bit, and yes, there will be beautiful links of boudin lain across the grills.  Ohhh, me o' my o'!  For those who have never tasted, well here is a Bible verse for you: 

"O taste and see that the..........   is good."  The Bible says 'the Lord is good'  and He is.  I believe that He is one of the only things better tastin'!  No, really, He is good and if you have never tasted His goodness, well, you are missing out!  He is the best thing that ever happened in my life and I don't want to ever be without Him!

Back to the boudin, leave the preachin' to my Papa... Boudin is a cajun sausage, made with rice and meat and all kinds of goodness that I really don't have to know what it is... just know that it is really good and yummy, and yummier when smoked.  Whewee! Andre Mika's blog does a way better job of explainin' than I could ever do.  By the way, I don't personally know this guy, but if you need something to encourage your appetite and get you good and hungry, his blog is the place to go. http://andremika.blogspot.com

No, you are not invited to supper, but if you'll bring your own boudin, I will smoke yours too!

Well, now, I reckon I'll go sit on my porch swing and watch the butterflies.....

1 comment:

roger sues annon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.